Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Peace out to Pilsen"

As mentioned before, I spent last weekend in the Chi visiting my girl Kathleen and her lovely friends Krista and Ife. It goes without saying that I had a great time, Chicago is no stranger teh dope, but the highlight of my trip came from my experience in Pilsen, as time didn't really permit me to be downtown for too long. Shout out to my good friend Mica, who hyped up her hometown enough for me to want to do some investigating and spend a good third of my trip out there, and, trust, Pilsen did not disappoint. For those wanting a longer wiki description of Pilsen, there ya go. I'll just say briefly that Pilsen is a neighborhood in Chicago that houses the National Museum of Mexican Art and a community with a strong Mexican identity that's had a unique way of influencing the urban landscape.

To give the photos a little context, I went to Pilsen mostly to visit the Museum and take some photos for a series assignment, so when I was presented with the idea of Mexicanidad (Mexicaness) in the first exhibit, I thought it'd be interesting to see how that idea manifested itself outside and interacted with the surrounding area.


Photobucket(Mural Mica worked on this summer.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I wasn't going to do a Chi post, but I might as well big up my favorite rapper from Chicago with this great video of him performing "I Used to Love H.E.R." live, with a sweet surprise hip hop medley in the middle.





3 comments:

PRINCE OF BALLARD said...

ill. that man hole cover is crazy. we have some native american themed ones here in seattle. i always wanted to bring out some butcher paper and charcoal and do an imprint of one.

good shit 15.

Fifteen said...

thanks. take some pics of it and post it to the blog. I'd never seen anything like it before, so I didn't think there'd be others like it.

the madman in question said...

yea the manhole cover is my favorite also. good find.